Exe-rated runners!

Exe-rated runners!
The successful Harriers team, en masse, at the Erme Valley Relays, July 2013

Thursday 15 September 2011

Yo yo, it's Yeooooooooovilton 5k calling!

Tempted by the prospect of clocking his fastest time of the season on an uber-flat and fast course, Roger Rowe headed over the border into Somerset to run in the final race of the Yeovilton 5k series. The following report is courtesy of Roger:

'Cool with a wonderful setting sun... this is what running is all about. The final race of the 6-race series is always fun, the culmination of much effort both by the organising club (Yeovil Town RC) and the competitors. I always intend to run the whole monthly series, but this year all I have managed is this final race due to the early season injury problems I encountered.

It was a pretty big field, and I set off at an extended lope feeling my way at a much higher pace than in any race this year; with doubts about whether or not I could sustain it for 3 miles! But the second kilometre marker showed that I was running a very even pace indeed, so I simply settled down to concentrate on 'keeping up the pressure'. Kilometre 3 and 4 both saw virtually exactly the same splits, and in the final rush I sought to up the pace to the finish (and did, but was overtaken by 3 or 4 in the last 100 metres).

The time? 19:50, sixty-one seconds quicker than last week's 5k in Exeter, and my swiftest paced run (6:24) in 2011. Pleased? Certainly, even when I discovered that I was only 2nd Vet/65 (by 3 seconds). MUCH better to run well and be beaten than to win and run less than well. WAVA percentage was 84.86% -- certainly well inside the top 10 overall.

I drove home feeling the visit was very much worth while. As virtually always in Yeovilton the lone Harrier -- pity, it's the fastest 5k course in the country; not a contour line anywhere!'


Roger R.

No comments:

Post a Comment